Hello and thank you for visiting my portfolio. 2019 is my fourth year of teaching and I am currently a junior high school Language Arts and ELD instructor. As a result of the previous years' experiences, I believe an effective environment for learning is a classroom in which students are properly using academic language to discuss the content. In fact, these discussions occur amongst themselves and with me. This participation allows them to be the natural inquiry-based learners they are. How does this type of a classroom materialize? It is a result of progress monitoring and consistent support of the multiple intelligences found within the grade level. My direction of this collaborative interaction is fueled by frequent checks for understanding, authentic assessments, and constructive feedback.

I began my career as a volunteer tutor with the Claremont Unified School District in fall 2009. Within one year, I was substituting and shortly thereafter I accepted a position with the ASES Child Development Department. I was fortunate to have instructed grades 1 through 3 in this program for more than two years. I began my secondary school teaching path in fall 2014 and have been rewarded each and every day of my job. My secondary school experience includes: private parochial high school and junior high, public charter high school, and public intermediate school. 

When I am not working, I enjoy reading and participating in various outdoor activities such as swimming, batting practice, and running. Family is highly important to me, and studying the Spanish language is also a passion of mine. 

Ian Tompkins