TPE 1.1:

Apply knowledge of students, including their prior experiences, interests, and social-emotional learning needs, as well as their funds of knowledge and cultural, language, and socioeconomic backgrounds, to engage them in learning.

TPE 4.2

Understand and apply knowledge of the range and characteristics of typical and atypical child development from birth through adolescence to help inform instructional planning and learning experiences for all students.

I paired the Autism Reflection with TPE 1.1 and 4.2. The Autism Reflection touched on the different ways to spot students on the spectrum and it gave an overview of how large the spectrum is. TPE 1.1 discusses how we should apply the students background knowledge and experiences in order to teach and guide them properly in the classroom. The videos and articles we read in the Autisim Module talked about the importance of making the Autistic student feel comfortable and safe. TPE 4.2 talks about how there is a range of characteristics and how we, teachers, should have knowledge of each individual. By doing this information, we should use this and apply it in our lesson planning and teaching strategies. 

Autisum Reflection

1. I learned that Autism is distinguished as a spectrum disorder, meaning the symptoms vary widely according to where a child is on the spectrum. Common characteristics of students with autism include: lack of eye contact, social aloofness, difficulty with expressing needs verbally, repetition of words or phrases, and responding differently to sensory input. With this knowledge, I will be able to identify students who may have be on the spectrum, and help them accordingly, whether it may be accommodating the lesson plans, so that s/he will be able to learn in the best ability possible.
  2. I’m working towards getting my multiple subject credential, so my end goal is to teach in the elementary school level. That being said, in the “Understanding Autism: A Guide for Secondary School Teachers”, they discuss how stressful and intimidating it may be for a student on the spectrum to have 6-7 different teachers, 6-7 different set of rules and expectations, and 6-7 different homework assignments. This video also discussed the importance of structure and repetitiveness. Although I won’t be working with students in the secondary school level, I will still be able to provide a repetitive structure for my students, who may or may not be on the spectrum. I will put up the predicted schedule for the day, including time and subject, up on the board so that the students won’t have any surprises.
  3. In one of the videos, it gave some tips that teachers should use to help maintain the behavior and the emotions from a student on the spectrum. For example, the video stated that when you see a student with autism beginning to get antsy and anxious, you can have them run an “errand” for you. By doing so, this child is going out of the classroom, walking around, talking with the school secretary, etc. By the time this child comes back into the classroom, s/he will be calmed down and ready to begin the next step in the day.