Philosophy of Education

Out of all the professions in this world, being an educator is one of the most important and the most difficult career a person can have. Being an educator doesn’t stop at teaching math or English; a teacher helps the child grow with confidence, respect for themselves and others, and learning that nothing is impossible. I will strive to give my full and undivided attention to each student fairly. From personal experiences in my middle and high school, I also know how important it is for a teacher to have empathy for their students and to be fair. I missed a lot school because of personal health reasons and the majority of my teachers failed to give me extra time on my assignments and didn’t let me postpone my exams. Their excuse was “you had the same amount of time just like every other student. It wouldn’t be fair to give you more time.” Back then, I accepted this fact and had my friends bring my school work to me. Now that I’m learning about how important it is to treat students fairly, I realized how wrongly I was treated. I made a promise to myself that I would never let another student fall behind or feel like they were wrongly treated because of reasons they couldn’t avoid.

I want to create a safe and open environment for my students. I am going to create a safe haven, where my students can come together and openly express their emotions and ideas to the class without feeling judged in any way. I want be known as being hospitable to my students, their parents, and other educators. I want to be approachable to my students even after they leave my class at the end of the year and I want to be remembered as a mentor who gave them strength and motivation when they needed it.

In order to be remembered this way, I am going to conduct an environmentally-friendly community in my classroom. I’m going to stress the importance of community and friendship by instructing group in-class assignments and have activities that require communication with others.

As a prospective educator, I strongly believe that my ideas will help my students grow with self-respect and confidence. Throughout my future teaching career I will always be open to change in making my classroom a better learning environment for my students.