Music

Chapter 12 Core Questions

Why should music be integrated into science, social studies, math, and ELA?

Music is valuable to learning for many reasons. Music is a part of everyday life and students are familiar and comfortable with it; so when integrating it into other subjects it makes even difficult concepts friendly and inviting. It also helps with memory and keeps students focused. Music can give students the ability to engage in learning using multiple intelligence. Music can also be used to understand the culture and history in social studies. In science music can help teach measuring and patterns, just to start; not to mention all the songs about science! Counting and fractions can be reinforced with songs and music in math. 

What do teachers need to know to meaningfully integrate music?

Teachers need to understand every facet of music to truly integrate it into their teaching. They need to understand the terms used in music and the elements used to create it. Teachers need to understand the different forms, styles, and genres of music. In other words, teachers need to know everything about music, they need to be music experts!

How can classroom teachers collaborate with arts specialists and musical artists to plan and implement music integration?

Teachers can reach out to local artists and music teachers to come into the classroom and help create lessons and activities with students that are meaningful and exciting. By bringing live music to the students and giving them the ability to interact with the pieces and instruments involved in making music.

Research Update

I do agree with the power of music and learning. I have been a preschool teacher for the better part of 8 years and I have seen how well children can learn with the aid of music. As we saw in the video Teaching Music, music can make a huge difference in children's ability to see and understand complicated subjects as well as increase self-esteem.

Resources 

Lesson planning: EducationCloset

Riley, S. (2010, January 01). EducationCloset | Arts Integration and STEAM Resources. Retrieved October 20, 2016, from https://educationcloset.com/ 
I loved this site because it had so many lesson plans and ideas for arts and STEAM integration. I can't wait to use it in my classroom to bring fun and arts to my STEAM classes!

Game and/or activity based (or app): Online Music Games

Riley, K. (2013, September 17). Online Music Games. Retrieved October 20, 2016, from http://www.klsriley.com/for-students/online-music-games/ 

What I really liked about this site was that it collected the different online games into grade groups. I also really liked that all the games were fun and easy to use. I could see myself using these games as extended learning opportunities for my students.
Professional music site with an education department (such as SFS Kids - but do not use this one specifically): DSO Kids

DSO Kids. (n.d.). Retrieved October 20, 2016, from http://dsokids.com/ 
I liked this site because it had a few fun and interesting games and a lot of information about composers and music that was kid friendly. Though it is is not as polished looking as SFS Kids, I found it to be a lot more user friendly than the other. I would probably use both sites to teach music in my future classroom.

YouTube/Video: Quaver's Marvelous World of Music

Quavermusic. (2010, September 29). QuaverMusic.com. Retrieved October 20, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/user/quavermusic 
This YouTube Channel has playlist spanning from music theory to composers as well as a website for teachers to use with students. I really enjoyed it. I could see using these videos and websites in my classes with younger children.

Seed Strategies (Chapter 13)

I really enjoy the idea of Energizers and Warm Ups. Music is a way I help my students transition from one activity to the next. They are also natural ways of engaging with students and giving them brain breaks that they need to continue. I hope to use Energizers and Warm Ups to get my students read for new and exciting challenges in the classroom and help them shake out those outside world worries so they are ready to learn in the classroom.