Baccalaureate Learning Outcome - Cultural Competence. 

Students will: demonstrate an understanding of the complexity of cultures and construction of knowledge; value diversity of thought; and reflect on the process of building consensus based on shared understandings and goals.

To see rubric click here.

Baccalaureate Learning Outcome - Ethical Reasoning. 

Students will identify and articulate ethical issues, core beliefs, multiple perspectives, and multilayer contexts when analyzing choices and making decisions.

To see rubric click here.

Baccalaureate Learning Outcome - Civic and Community Knowledge. 

Students will engage in active and integrative learning based on principles of reciprocity and appreciative inquiry and analyze and critically reflect on social and environmental issues that impact communities and institutions.

To see rubric click here.

SoLVE (LVE 200)

Braid reflection: Near the end of the semester each student will write and submit a paper to the following prompt:

Consider how your experiences have influenced your ethical core beliefs and cultural self identity; using specific examples from your life, discuss what has shaped your beliefs and your understanding of your cultural identity.

As an extension of this discussion, think forward to your life beyond La Verne, including your career plans. How do imagine that the La Verne core values (Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Civic and Community engagement, and Life-long Learning) and your knowledge of intercultural/interfaith perspectives will influence your life and your understanding of the world?

Responses should include: (a) experience and learning both inside and outside of the classroom, (b) event attendance, (c) intentional and unintentional learning from all aspects of the class, (d) connection and relation to the Universities Baccalaureate Goals and values (e) a deepened understanding of their values and beliefs as it relates to their holistic development. The paper should incorporate both objective and subjective reflection. The paper should be between 4-5 pages.

See rubric for assessment criteria by clicking here.

The artifact I chose to represent the Values category is the Braid Reflection written for the SoLVE class I attended in my junior year. The photos I chose to represent this artifact are of a booklet of thank you notes from one 3rd grade class I had been helping in math. This booklet ties into some of the content within the braid reflection. Click here to read the Braid Reflection assignment. 

The purpose of this assignment was to tie together all of the various themes covered in the SoLVE class, creating an artifact that should reflect how well we absorbed the material based-off of the University’s core values, making this artifact the best fit for this category.

When I learned about this assignment, I was actually fairly excited to write it because my core beliefs revolve around social justice and social equity, something that the SoLVE class discusses often. These ideas are something that I am passionate about, which I believe is due to both my background as the child of immigrants and my personality. In hindsight, I would have liked to spend more time addressing other events I had attended during the semester, interfaith, and my understanding of the world, as mentioned in the prompt. If I had spent more time discussing my understanding of the world and interfaith, I may have been able to score higher in the Self-Awareness and Skills Empathy dimensions.

For Ethical Self-Awareness, I would score a three based on this artifact. I discuss my core beliefs and analyze the origins of where they came from at the beginning of the assignment, but not with the depth and clarity the four requires. I believe that for the Knowledge Cultural Self-awareness category, I earn a score of three. While I don’t specifically identify any of my own cultural rules, I believe that I make it clear that I don’t look for sameness when interacting with others who are different from me and my culture. At the same time, I don’t believe I earn a four for that category because I don’t believe I made a “shift in self-description” at any point in the paper. For the skills empathy category, I think I earn a two. Although I am willing to be supportive of the feelings of other cultural groups, I don’t believe that comes across clearly in this paper. Rather, I think it seems as though I see other cultural perspectives, but still only approach them from my own world view. To earn a higher score in this dimension, I would need to use more than one worldview in my interactions. I think I may be able to apply this in life by putting myself in others’ shoes more often when I don’t see eye to eye and when I’m trying to understand others’ actions or behaviors. For the last dimension, Diversity of Communities and Cultures, I believe that I earned a score of three with this assignment. In my discussion of diversity’s importance in knowledge and societal gain, I exhibit more than a “little” curiosity about what can be learned from other cultures, placing me higher than the score of two, but without really promoting diversity engagement among others, preventing me from achieving a score of four. Still, promotion of engagement in diversity is something I would like to continue to work on in my daily life.